Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Liquid Gold"


For all of you experienced mothers out there, I'm sure you know exactly what is meant by the term "liquid gold." But for many of you who are like me and are either new to the world of motherhood or who have not yet entered that phase of life, you may not be aware of this treasure. When I first heard the term "liquid gold" I thought maybe it was a new shade of highlights for hair or maybe some new self-tanning lotion. Well, as of today, my ignorance is no more.

As of today I have learned that "liquid gold" refers to pumped breastmilk, and I now understand exactly why it is termed "gold". You see, Elijah is 4 weeks old today, and today "liquid gold" equalled a taste of freedom from nursing. Don't get me wrong, I love nursing my sweet little one, and I am committed to it, but it was so nice to have a little break today.

I pumped my "liquid gold" into a bottle for David to feed Elijah, and as I pumped I realized that the time and effort it was taking to pump those 3.5 ounces was not at all proportional to the few minutes it was going to take for my sweet son to gulp it down. But, Elijah did, in fact, enjoy his lunch, and I so enjoyed my time shopping for nursing bras, eating at Zaxby's all by myself, and just getting out to play.

I have a friend who is rumored to have more than 30 bottles worth of "liquid gold" stored in her freezer for her sweet son. After my knewfound knowledge, I hope she has it guarded well!



1 comment:

  1. Too bad my sweet son won't take a bottle anymore, and I may have to pour all 30 bottles of my "liquid gold" down the sink!!!

    ReplyDelete