Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fluids! Fluids! Everywhere!







I want to begin by saying that this posting is not for the faint of heart... so if you are still reading, enjoy!


For those of you who know me (Erica) well, you most likely know that I am super antibacterial, anticlutter, antidirt, and definitely anti-fluids. When I say "anti-fluids" I do not mean the kind that you drink like sweet tea or raspberry ginger ale (my new favorite). I mean the kinds that come from places that you don't like fluids to come from and make messes in places that are all places you would like to remain clean.

Well, this first week of Elijah's life has definitely been a week of fluids and man have I really had to get over my anti-fluids querkiness quickly. It all started two Fridays ago at around 6pm. My mom and I had just taken my niece Kylie for a stroller ride, and I was in the kitchen preparing dinner. I was slicing eggplant (I was told that eggplant would help to put me into labor which I was very much wanting to happen... little did they know) when all of the sudden I felt a warm gush of fluids. I tried to pretend that it was nothing, but then it just kept coming. Well, I'm sure you can guess by now that my water had broken, and in no time I was at the hospital getting ready to deliver.
Delivery- now that is a whole different ball game of fluids. I have never seen so many fluids everywhere. I thought once your water broke that was it until the baby came, but I was so wrong. I kept asking, "Where is that fluid coming from?" and "What was that fluid?" Then Elijah was born, and guess what... more fluids! He was covered in fluids, I was sweating and still leaking fluids, and the doctors were giving me more fluids just to come out later. It was crazy, but it was absolutely amazing, and when I saw Elijah, none of that seemed to matter at all. I just felt so overwhelmed that God would choose to give me such a perfect gift of grace in my son, and then... more fluids- this time in my tears.

So when all the labor and delivery was said and done I thought the fluids were finished as well. Wrong again. We have had lots of fluid-filled adventures during diaper changes (projectile poo and pee) which have resulted in everyone involved needing an outfit change. I continue to leak fluids from the delivery (seriously, is there really anything left in there?). And of course, the feeding fluids are in, and they are in in abundance! Whew! What a ride it has been, and this is only the first week. Pray for me!

They say a child will change your life... Praise the Lord for that! What an adventure!
This is a picture of sweet Elijah after a feeding still with milk dripping from his mouth. We always say it looks like he is in a drunken stupor. So cute.





4 comments:

  1. Amazing! Loved reading all about the fluids. We will follow your blog for sure and I know we will love reading about all your parenting adventures.I agree with you about the fluids coming out after labor. It is crazy how long it lasts? You did it and now you have such a gift. What a sweet little boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are both laughing out loud because we do know you! The whole fluid thing is amazing huh? What a sweet little boy. We will love keeping up with you all better thru the blog world. Blessings and stay clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled to be the first to post a comment! Thank you so much for inviting me to be part of Elijah's life. As Gigi, I'm thinking, "Life doesn't get any better than this!" My grandson has put me on top of the world!

    The blog is great. Great article, video,and pictures. Blessings, jp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you wish all the preparation videos, books, etc. were a little more preparatory in the fluids department. Talk about bap. by fire! Sounds like you are handling it really well. I never thought I would be able to handle the bodily fluids of someone else until the boys came along. It's amazing what motherly love gives us the ability to handle. :)

    ReplyDelete