Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Renaissance Men


Renaissance Man- Latin for "universal man" or "man of the world"- a person who is well educated or who excels in a wide variety of subjects or fields- the idea that “a man can do all things if he will".

Recently, David and I were at the doctor's office for a follow-up visit, and we were talking about the many things he has learned to do and has become excellent in. David is famous (at least in my opinion) for recognizing that there is a skill out there that he has not yet mastered, buying books, doing research, and scouring the internet for information on that skill, and then working to become proficient, even excellent, in that skill. He has done this with many things over the past years: playing the guitar, becoming a great leader, learning the Chinese language, and most recently, cooking (can you believe it?!) and parenting our new son. It was this most recent of skills that we were discussing.

I was commenting to David about how amazing he has been since Elijah's birth to serve me and Elijah and to look out for our best interests. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty on many occasions and has really just been incredible. He has changed diapers, grocery shopped, cleaned the house, run errands, given baths, done yard work, taught a Chinese class, given lots of hugs and shoogs, burped the baby, answered e-mails, washed cars, and done just about everything under the sun to make life easier for me and to be an excellent dad. As I finished my list of praises to David, he jokingly responded, "Yep, I'm a Renaissance Man."


Elijah is a Renaissance Man as well but for different reasons. Since he has come into this world he has desired to do all things he does in excellence. These amazing talents include nursing, sleeping, peeing, pooping, crying, taking baths, and the newest of talents, wearing "pillowcases" (this is what David calls Elijah's nightgowns) and looking ever-so-handsome while doing it.




So this little post is dedicated to my Renaissance Men. I love you both immensely.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love this post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you guys would be great parents! Way to go David. Keep up the good work and give a hug to Elijah from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to see and read a bit about how the Lord is enriching you in this new chapter. We love you guys and are thankful for such an excellent delivery and new life!

    ReplyDelete