Each morning (and each night) we have a family worship time. This time has evolved over the two years of Elijah's life, and I am sure it will continue to change as our children grow and mature in their faith.
For now, we are reading through a devotion book created for families called Long Story Short by Marty Machowski which we really really love. Each week has a theme, and there are 5 devotions per week. Days 1 and 2 introduce the theme, day 3 connects it to Christ, day 4 continues on the theme, and day 5 looks at a passage from the psalms or the prophets to learn about Jesus. We have read through lots of other children's/family devotion materials, but this is definitely our top pick. The greatest thing is that it goes through the Bible in its entirety which means you have devotions for a 3 year time span. Love it!
So we start out by reading the passage, the devotion, and discussing the questions that go with it. Then we usually work on our memory verse which is one we have chosen to go with the theme of the week. For example, this week, we are memorizing Romans 1:20 to go with the theme of creation of people. Then we sing a song (we sing the same song each day for one week to help with recognition) which is also one we've chosen to go with the weekly theme. Then we pray to thank God for all that He has done and for what we are learning about, and for other needs as they arise.
These times have been so sweet over this past few weeks, and we have really been able to worship well as a family together each morning at the breakfast table.
So recently Elijah said a couple of cute things during these morning worship times that I simply must jot down:
*I shared with Elijah that God gave Adam the responsibility of naming all of the animals and how neat of an experience that must have been. I then asked Elijah what he would name the animals if he got to name them. He thought about it a minute and then said, "moo!".
*I let Elijah look through one of his picture Bibles while David read the story of God creating man and woman. When I pointed out the picture of Adam and Eve in his Bible, he pointed to their fig-leave-only clothed bodies and said, "bubble bath." Pretty appropriate I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment