For quite some time now, I have been doing various learning activities with Elijah using a great book I have called "Slow and Steady GET ME READY" (or 1,2,3 Teach Me according to my mom). It is a great book that has a different learning activity for every single week from birth until 5 years of age. Every day I plan a little of Elijah's midday wake time to be learning time, and he really seems to love it. Over the past 37 weeks of Elijah's life, a lot of our learning times have had various hand exercises. Some involve counting, grabbing, throwing, pulling things out and putting things in, rolling, and of course, clapping.
One of my favorite clapping exercises is "patty cake". The first time I did "patty cake with Elijah his was thoroughly unimpressed- he just stared at me blankly. But over time he really seemed to enjoy watching me as I clapped my hands and made funny facial expressions. Each time I would first have him watch me, and then I would hold his hands and help him clap. I have been trying to get to him to clap on his own constantly, and today, out of the blue he did it!
Elijah was playing in the floor, and I was clapping to him and singing a song. All of the sudden, he just started clapping to. The more I clapped the more he mimmicked me. I was so thrilled! Now if I could just get him to learn all other things in life that easily.
No comments:
Post a Comment