One of my passions in life is cooking, and I have really enjoyed cooking up lots of special things for Elijah's meals. I find it challenging and exciting to come up with well-balanced menus for each day, while incorporating lots of new flavors and textures in.
Since Elijah turned 9 months I have been able to add in lots of new things like cheese, beans, and meats. Some of his favorite recipes include chicken with pumpkin, cinnamon and allspice, broccoli and cauliflower gratin, zesty baby hummus, and jumpin' jambalya! He seems to love everything, especially anything with yogurt in it. In fact, the only thing he still doesn't like is bananas! It is so strange, but I guess if I had to choose, I am glad he turns up his nose to bananas and opens his mouth wide for broccoli.
On the subject of meals, I must say that going out to eat with a 9 month old is quite a bit more challenging than any of the other stages so far. I think that is mainly because he still cannot eat everything that we eat (no honey, milk, egg whites), and I do not want him eating a lot of the things that go into Chinese food (msg, hua jiao- a numbing spice, lots of oil and salt), which means I must first feed him separately, and then he has to sit in his stroller and play while David and I eat. That used to work really well, but since Elijah is now so much more aware of what is going on around him (and what he is missing out on) he is less than content to sit alone in the stroller. So he fusses, and we pass him a cheerio. Then he fusses again, and we give him a sip of water. This little game goes on and on until finally one of us is finished eating, and holds Elijah, or until he just gets fed up with the whole thing and lets us (and everyone around us) know about it. We are thinking that this just might be the stage that we need to keep eating out to a minimum.
No comments:
Post a Comment