Saturday, April 14, 2012

All About Elijah











For a while now I have been wanting to capture in writing some of the things that Elijah is doing and saying these days that is just so sweet and special to me during this stage of his life:
  • Elijah is extremely quick to say he is sorry for things.  He has a tender heart that has not yet been ravaged by the ugly character of pride.  If he does something sinful or even just something that he knows will cause someone frustration (like when he "misses" while aiming for the toilet during going potty), when it is pointed out to him, he always says, "I'm forry mommy."  This is one of my favorite things about his character right now.
  • Elijah is such an encourager to Auburn Grace.  If Auburn Grace is doing something unique or on her own that we have been working with her on for a while, he will say (and often point out to me), "Good job Auburn Grace; You did it!"  He praises her for crawling, clapping, and most recently, learning to drink from a cup all by herself.
  • He is so cute about time: Elijah will often ask if we can do something like get a sucker or ride a ride while we are out, and I will look at my watch and respond something like, "We'll just have to see if we have time."  So recently when I ask him if he would like to do something like ride his bike or call someone on Skype, he will look at his watchless wrist and say, "We have time?"  Some things are definitely caught by nurture.
  • Elijah's two favorite songs are "Jesus loves me" and "Jesus loves the little children".
  • He sleeps with lots of "friends" at night including lovey, Tigger, and now Blue (a little blue puppy Nana sent him for Easter), and he likes to be covered up with his blanket.
  • Going down the stairs he has to be jumping and going up the stairs he takes supersteps.
  • Elijah's closest friends that he talks about almost daily are: EnHui, GeGe, Roman, and Katie-Ellen (these are actually two little girls that live upstairs from us, but he always says their names as one double-name).
  • His favorite show right now is Blues Clues. We bought a set once and he watches them over and over again.  He also loves Mater Tales.
  • He is into anything machines, cars, transportation.
  • In the past week or so, Elijah just started asking "why" to many things.  We knew this stage would come, and I actually looked forward to it as I enjoy finding out the "why's" of so many things as well.  This is something we are really working through with him though- that he can ask "why" for information but that he cannot ask "why" about a command we have given him or a "no" we have given him.  He is actually doing pretty well with it and really seeking to obey us while learning a lot of information.
  • Elijah is potty-trained (at least for the daytime), and he is doing such a great job going potty all by himself all throughout the day.  I stressed about this one on and off for a while, but I'll be honest, once he was ready physically and mentally it was super easy.
  • Elijah loves to pray at EVERY SINGLE MEAL.  If we even think about eating without praying, he will not allow it.  His sweet prayers go something like this: 
                "Thank God for mommy, thank God for daddy, thank God for Lijah and AwnGray, thank God for food, thank God for wonderful day....AAAAAAAAmen!"
          Recently he has added his old tutor that had to move away into the list of people, and she gets prayed for at least 3 times a day!
  • Elijah loves to be outside.  Recently, he has started saying, "I don't want to go home. I want to live outside."
  • He can spot a crane or buildozer or excavator or any construction vehicle a mile away and is always sure to point it out to me.
  • When he doesn't want to get a spanking he will say, "Mommy give you mercy this time."  I often have to remind him that the most merciful thing I can do for him is to actually spank him.
Thank you Lord for the precious days in Elijah's life.  They are fleeting.  Help me to soak them up and never take him for granted for even a moment.  Thank you for the amazing boy you have given us in Elijah.  Our lives are so much richer because of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment